Friday, August 16, 2013

Oven-baked French Toast

Sorry I've been slow about updating! Ever since I got back from my Scandinavian vacation, I've been doing a whirl wind tour of errands and catching up with friends, which has left me with precious little time to myself. However, in seeing all my old friends, I hosted a brunch last Sunday with the absolute best French Toast.

The reason this French Toast is perfect for brunches is that you make it the night before and the day of, you just throw it in the oven and wait. That way I wasn't standing by the griddle or the waffle iron while my friends were chatting without me. 

(based on this post)



Oven-baked French Toast
1 loaf Texas Toast (or other thick French Toast bread)
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
Cinnamon for sprinkling

Yields: 12 servings

Melt the stick of butter in a microwave or on the stove. Add the brown sugar and mix together. Spread this mixture along the bottom of a 9x13in pan.

Next, put down a layer of bread over the butter and sugar.

Whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Spread half of this mixture over the bread layer, letting it soak in.

Sprinkle a handful of brown sugar and cinnamon over the egg mixture.

Next, put down another layer of bread over the previous one. Pour the rest of the egg mixture on top and sprinkle again with cinnamon and sugar. Cover and refrigerate over night.



The next morning, bake the french toast at 350° F for 30 to 40 minutes, until the edges of the bread begin to turn brown.

Cut each square into halves and serve upside down to take advantage of that sugary layer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment